ABOUT THIS CATALOG
This catalog supersedes all previous catalogs and academic information and policies and is binding on all students. It was prepared on the basis of the best information available at the time of publication. The university reserves the right to change tuition, fees, course offerings, regulations, and admission and graduation requirements at any time without prior notice.
The online version of the 2007 Yeshiva University Undergraduate Catalog is based on the print edition but contains more up-to-date information and thus shall be considered the official statement of college course offerings, fees, and policies. As changes are made throughout the academic year, new material and substantive changes will be indicated by yellow highlighted red typeand deletions by
yellow highlighted strikethrough red type.
When preparing their programs each semester, students should consult with faculty advisers and academic counselors.
Back to top
Yeshiva University operates on the semester system. The academic year consists of two semesters, each 15 weeks, including examinations; the fall term generally runs from late August or early September to mid-January, and the spring term from late January to early June. Classes meet Sunday through Friday. There is a limited undergraduate summer session. The university is not responsible for interruptions beyond its control.
Yeshiva University is committed to a policy of equal opportunity and nondiscrimination in admissions and all other facets of its educational programs and activities. Inquiries concerning the nondiscrimination policies should be directed to the Affirmative Action Administrator, Yeshiva University, Jack and Pearl Resnick Campus, 1300 Morris Park Avenue, Bronx, N Y 10462-1602; 718-430-3272.
Yeshiva University is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools, and the following programs by the appropriate professional agencies: the program in medicine, by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education of the American Medical Association and the Association of the American Medical Colleges; the programs in clinical and school psychology, by the American Psychological Association; the programs in law, by the American Bar Association; the MSW program in social work, by the Commission on Accreditation of the Council on Social Work Education; the programs in Jewish education, by the Association of Institutions of Higher Learning for Jewish Education and the National Board of License for Hebrew Teachers.
Yeshiva University takes its responsibility for on-campus security very seriously and makes every effort to offer its students, faculty, and staff a safe and comfortable environment by working closely with the local community and with law enforcement agencies. Even though there is a very low rate of crime on our campuses, federal law requires us to make crime statistics available. You can find them at http://ope.ed.gov/security. Search for Yeshiva University, then click on a particular campus. At the bottom of each page you can select various categories of crime statistics to view. You can also contact YU Security at 212-960-5221 for more information.
Back to top
Now in its second century, Yeshiva University is the oldest and most comprehensive educational institution under Jewish auspices in America. It is an independent institution that ranks among the nation’s leading academic research institutions and embraces the heritage of the best of Western civilization, along with the ancient traditions of Jewish law and life.
Our undergraduate schools and divisions include Yeshiva College, Stern College for Women, and Sy Syms School of Business. Together with its graduate and affiliated schools—Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, Wurzweiler School of Social Work, Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology, Azrieli Graduate School of Jewish Education and Administration, Bernard Revel Graduate School, and Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary—the university embraces knowledge in the arts, sciences, and professions, as well as the breadth and richness of Jewish culture and thought.
Yeshiva University today is home to nearly 7,000 students, including 2,798 undergraduates, from 38 states and 55 countries. With an education firmly rooted in the best of Jewish and American academic traditions, we prepare our graduates to meet with confidence the challenges of leadership in a rapidly changing, ever-evolving world. Our faculty members are authorities in a wide range of subjects and serve as important resources.
Graduates of Yeshiva University have gone on to become Nobel laureates, world political leaders, and philanthropists. Our alumni have achieved immense success and made significant contributions to society and the Jewish community both nationally and worldwide. They serve, lead, and inspire by example— a testament to the university’s greatest resource: our students and faculty.
Back to top
Yeshiva University is a top-tier national research institution with the guiding vision that the best of the heritage of contemporary civilization and knowledge is compatible with the ancient traditions of Jewish law and life. On the undergraduate level, this is embodied in the dual curriculum under which students pursue liberal arts, sciences, and business in conjunction with comprehensive Jewish studies. On the graduate level, the university’s mission emphasizes the advancement of knowledge in medicine, science, law, social work, psychology, education, advanced Jewish and rabbinical studies and the moral dimensions and values that govern professional practitioners. Both are linked by a common quest: to ennoble students’ deepest human needs for purpose and discovery, and to enable them to transform their communities and society through meaningful action.
Back to top
HISTORY AND LEADERSHIP
Yeshiva University traces its origins to Yeshiva Eitz Chaim, established in 1886 on New York’s Lower East Side. In 1896, Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary (RIETS) was founded; it was chartered in 1897 by the New York State Board of Regents. In 1915, the two schools merged under the leadership of Dr. Bernard Revel, the first president of the newly combined school who served as president until his death in 1940.
The institution pursued educational development and growth under Dr. Revel’s leadership. In 1929, the institution moved to its Main Campus in Manhattan’s Washington Heights. Liberal arts programs began with the establishment of Yeshiva College in 1928, and the first graduate curriculum (in Jewish studies) was introduced in 1935.
The election of Dr. Samuel Belkin as president in 1943 inaugurated a new era of expansion. In 1945, the New York State Board of Regents granted the school University status. The institution initiated programs of general and professional studies, research, and special projects to benefit many constituencies. These included a college of liberal arts and sciences for women and graduate schools of medicine, law, social work, and psychology.
Following Dr. Belkin’s death, Dr. Norman Lamm was elected president in 1976. He undertook a complete review of the university’s structure and operations and significantly expanded undergraduate study opportunities to include a new undergraduate school of business. He also enriched graduate and professional school resources and established a carefully monitored fiscal system and development program to further the university’s goals. After 27 years of service to the university, Dr. Lamm became the school’s chancellor and retains the title of Rosh HaYeshiva (dean) of the university’s affiliated Rabbi Isaac Elchanan Theological Seminary.
On September 21, 2003, Richard M. Joel was inaugurated as Yeshiva University’s fourth president in its 117-year history. In assuming the leadership of one of the nation’s top academic research universities, President Joel put forth a vision that embraces time-honored values in a 21st-century context. This includes his desire to ennoble our students’ deepest human needs of intellectual curiosity and discovery, and to educate and enable them to care for others and contribute to society. The pillars of his vision are nobility of purpose, excellence in education and endeavor, community building and communal responsibility, and the centrality of Israel and its people.
President Joel’s success in revitalizing Jewish campus life and activism defined his 14 years as president and international director of Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life, where he greatly expanded programs, activities, and branches in the nation and around the world.
President Joel is known for his accessibility to and advocacy for students and is a highly influential leader and educator in the Jewish community, key qualities in the strengthening of Yeshiva University as a premier center of Jewish and worldly learning. He received BA and JD degrees from New York University, where he was a Root-Tilden scholar. Before leading Hillel, President Joel was an assistant district attorney in New York and an associate dean at Yeshiva University’s Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law, as well as a member of its faculty. President Joel’s wife, Esther (Ribner), earned her PhD from Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology in 1983.
Back to top
The university’s undergraduate, graduate, and professional schools are located at four locations: Wilf Campus (500 West 185th Street), Israel Henry Beren Campus (245 Lexington Avenue), Brookdale Center (55 Fifth Avenue) in Manhattan, and the Jack and Pearl Resnick Campus in the Bronx (Eastchester Road and Morris Park Avenue). All campuses provide residence, dining, and athletic facilities. While part of a multifaceted university community, each school retains the intimate character of a smaller institution.
Befitting an institution with a long, distinguished history and record of academic excellence, Yeshiva University’s four-campus library system offers a broad range of collections and services, both traditional and current, in an environment that takes full advantage of the resources and tools provided by modern technology. The libraries hold in excess of 1.2 million physical volumes and provide access to more than 160,000 electronic books. Approximately 50,000 journals, in paper and/or electronic formats, areavailable for consultation. The library system is a selective depository for United States government publications. Highly skilled librarians, whose expertise ranges across the disciplines, guide students in their academic pursuits.
The Mendel Gottesman Library—a six-story, block-long central library building located at the Wilf Campus—houses one of the world’s greatest Judaic research collections. The library’s holdings are particularly strong in the areas of Bible, rabbinics, Jewish history, Jewish philosophy, and the Hebrew language. Undergraduate programs at Yeshiva College and Sy Syms School of Business, and the graduate programs of Wurzweiler School of Social Work, are supported by the Pollack Library and Landowne-Bloom Library, located in the same building.
The D. Samuel Gottesman Library of Albert Einstein College of Medicine and Ferkauf Graduate School of Psychology is at the Resnick Campus. The library supports education and research in the biomedical sciences and psychology.
Serving Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law is the Dr. Lillian and Dr. Rebecca Chutick Law Library at the Brookdale Center. Newly expanded and renovated, it holds extensive legal collections and is the center of student and faculty research at Cardozo. Resources for computer-assisted research are readily available.
Undergraduate programs at Stern College for Women and Sy Syms School of Business are served by the Hedi Steinberg Library, located at the Beren Campus.
Special Collections The university’s Special Collections, including Rare Books, Manuscripts, and Archives, are housed in the Mendel Gottesman Library Building. The Rare Books and Manuscripts Division contains several thousand rareJudaica and Hebraica volumes, 39 Hebrew incunabula (books printedbefore 1500), and more than 1,000 literary and historical manuscripts. The archives document the university’s history as well as the activities of important Jewish organizations and individuals.
Affiliations Since 1974, the university’s libraries have participated in the Online Computer Library Center (OCLC), a computerized bibliographic network of more than 30,000 libraries in 65 countries and territories worldwide. Members of this online system have access to 38 million catalog records and borrow materials from OCLC libraries online requests. The university also belongs to several other networks, including the Metropolitan Reference and Research Library Agency (METRO) and the Research Libraries Information Network (RLIN). Additionally, each university library maintains affiliations with agencies devoted to its particular specialty, such as psychology, medicine, law, social work, and Jewish studies.
Back to top
YESHIVA UNIVERSITY MUSEUM
The Yeshiva University Museum (YUM) moved in 2000 from the Wilf Campus to a new home at the Center for Jewish History, 15 West 16th Street. The museum presents innovative exhibits reflecting Jewish life through the humanities—art, architecture, music, literature, science, history, and anthropology.
It fulfills its mission as a teaching museum through community outreach programs, satellite galleries, and cultural events, including crafts festivals, concerts, and children’s workshops. YUM branch galleries at the Wilf Campus continue to offer exhibitions and children’s art education programs.
Yeshiva University continually enhances its computer facilities and services. A wide area network (WAN) links computer resources on all YU campuses, yielding access to such resources as the online catalog and mini-MEDLINE systems at Albert Einstein College of Medicine as well as all Internet-based resources worldwide, with library computers offering menu-driven search capabilities.
A scientific/educational computer center on the Resnick Campus provides an excellent research-oriented educational environment for students, faculty, and researchers. In addition, there are several computer labs and classrooms at the Wilf and Beren Campuses with more than 400 PCs accessible by students andfaculty, using their Academic Computing lab accounts. These labs/classrooms have general purpose software as well as special courseware requested by faculty. Also, 90 classrooms are outfitted with multimedia equipment (included net-worked PCs and projectors). Students and faculty have wireless connectivity in several public areas on each campus. Students living in university residence halls and Independent Housing Program apartments have connections in each room (and wireless in at least one lounge in each residence hall) with individual accounts. Each student and faculty member has both an e-mail account (YUMS—Yeshiva University Mail Service) and an online course system account (ANGEL—A New Global Environment for Learning).
For more information about these and other facilities and services, pleaserefer to the extensive collection of handouts online at http://yu.edu/mis/handouts.yu including a summary, “A Student Guide to Computer Services at Yeshiva University.”
AN INDEPENDENT INSTITUTION
Since its founding, Yeshiva University has been an independent institution under Jewish auspices chartered by the State of New York. It is accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and by specialized professional agencies. It offers programs leading to associate’s, bachelor’s, master’s, doctoral, and professional degrees. Beyond its extensive teaching programs, the university maintains a network of affiliates, conducts widespread programs of research and community outreach, and issues publications.
Back to top